Eric has a friend who makes skateboards.
He thought he would give it a try.
Ty joined in and they have been keeping busy with great summer woodworking projects.
Here are some of their creations...
On Friday, Ty came inside holding his finger and saying, quietly but forcefully, "Dang it!, dang it!". I asked what was wrong. He told me just as he was finishing the sanding the newly created "fin" on the tail of his latest board. He was setting down the belt sander when.... it ripped the fingernail from his middle finger. What?? Are you sure?? It was bleeding so badly we couldn't actually tell if his fingernail was gone for the first little while. (The finger of a newly ripped off finger looks remarkably like a regular finger, minus the blood.) I have only ripped the tip of my fingernail into the nail bed a millimeter or two, never the entire nail, and I know how tender that can be. I did tell Ty I remember reading a book about torture and fingernail ripping off in the middle ages. He said he could agree that this would be an effective method.
We got him all bandaged up and he was back to work. I am glad my kids have Hannay toughness! (The funny thing was, he was mad that it would be sore for football camp this week, not the even thinking of the pain he should have been in.) My finger would have resembled a big q-tip with large amounts of gauze, tape, and of course lots of medication if it would have happened to me.
Here it is almost a week later...
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Summer Hurts
at 2:33 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
eeeww! Gross! Cool designs on the boards though. i guess no pain, no gain. i hope his giant q-tip finger heals up well. I've never lost a fingernail either-it seems like it would hurt A LOT!!!!
Post a Comment