Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Secret Gardener

I love flowers. I love to garden. Steve is very helpful because he tills, amends, mulches and tries his best to improve our very poor soil with his back breaking efforts. (Maybe that's why I love gardening so much!) I wander through the nursery picking out my favorite flowers and plopping them into the nicely prepared soil.













Steve also built me some great garden boxes for all the herbs and veggies I love to grow. This year the boxes filled up quickly and we had not planted any tomatoes or pumpkins (one of our favorite crops). We often grow herbs in containers and I thought we could do this with tomatoes as well. As for the pumpkins I wasn't sure. Our busy summer was in full swing and after our initial planting I didn't think much about the garden. (Automatic sprinklers also make my garden enjoyable.)













As I was wandering through the yard one warm summer evening, I noticed a plant in my flower bed that I had not planted. Upon closer inspection, I realized it was a tomato plant! I continued to wander the yard... Over in the gravel near the tramp were 2 vines growing against the house that looked remarkably like pumpkins. And over along the side yard another tomato.












I had to laugh to myself. Steve is such a hard working guy. He saw the extra space in the flower beds, knew we needed to plant a few more things...

2 comments:

ShelleyG said...

He's like a giant garden gnome! heehee

Keryn said...

I just noticed the first flower on my pumpkin plant yesterday. I'm so excited for fall!