Monday, July 20, 2009

Fishing anyone?

Eric was invited by his friend Nathan to go backpacking Friday. Nathan's dad, the scoutmaster in the ward, planned to take the scouts up to the Uintas for an overnighter and had extra room for Nathan & Eric.

Eric envisioned packing up to a high mountain lake where he could fish to his hearts content. (Eric LOVES fishing.) They hiked in 3 miles on rough terrain. They arrived at camp just in time to set up camp and eat dinner. The boys woke up at 7 for breakfast.

Side note -At this time of Eric's life, food is a very big deal. Eric does not skip meals!!! He has a snack (6 inch sub sandwich) before dinner and a bowl of cereal after dinner. Usually before bed he has another light snack (leftover pizza or the like).

When Eric heard they were leaving after breakfast, he headed to the lake, skipping breakfast. He caught 2 fish before they told him it was time to leave. What a rip off! They hiked back out. If you look close you can see the white salt/sweat stains all over Eric's shirt. He had a large pack and said it was a long, steep, hot, hike. He never complained about that, he was just sad he didn't get to fish longer.

Once again, I am in awe of my boys. I have never worked hard enough to stain a shirt with sweat. I've never climbed a mountain and slept on the ground just to skip breakfast and climb back down. I don't know how they got so tough. Hannay genes I guess.

1 comments:

Keryn said...

Good for you, Eric, for making the best of it. What did you catch?