Monday, October 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Eric

Eric had his sweet 16th on September 25th. I can't believe how the time has flown! He is such a mature responsible young man. Sunday morning I had a Mom's "payday" moment...

We have church at 1:00pm. (Prime teen church time - stay up late on the weekend, sleep in on "the day of rest".) I was still dozing when the phone rang at about 8:30am. It was the YM President asking if Ty could pick up another Priest and come to the assisted living branch to prepare and bless the sacrament. They needed to arrive at the care facility at 9:45 in the large dining room where the hold their Sunday meetings. Eric was made a Priest last week so I thought Ty could bring him along. Since Steve had long since left for bishopric meetings and the rest of the house was still and quiet, excluding the occasional teen-aged snore, I told him they would be there and slipped back to sleep.

Teen boys do not require much time to get ready in the morning, no rush to wake them up right? I had time for a few more minutes rest before I needed to get up and tell them... When I woke up it was 9:25, yikes! I jumped out of bed and went in to wake up Eric first. Even though teen boys don't need much time to get ready, they are hard to rouse from a deep sleep. I don't often have the occasion to wake them up. They get up way before me to leave for school and their alarm clock must take the brunt of the moans and groans when it wakes them up. After yanking off the sheets and a few direct hits with a pillow, I was somewhat confident Eric was a little awake. Next I went downstairs to wake Ty. It was so dark and quiet, I almost snuggled up on the couch, but NO we have our duty. I woke Ty up and told him I was sorry for the late notice. After I was fairly sure he was awake too, I headed back upstairs.

I didn't hear any noise in Eric's room. I feared the worst as I climbed the stairs, thinking I might need a bucket of ice water this time. To my surprise, there was Eric tucking in his white shirt! Wow! Ty came up a short time later and they headed out the door just in the nick of time.

We enjoyed a hot breakfast of yummy cinnamon french toast together when they returned. I am so grateful for YM ready, worthy and willing to serve. I am so grateful for a hubby who is such a good example of hard work and service. No grumbling or whining, just going to work and doing their best at whatever they are asked to do. I am glad for the genetic mutation that makes them cheerful early risers and tough guys so unlike their wimpy Mother.

1 comments:

Laurene Ross said...

This really touched me. You have awesome kids, but then I know you know this. What great examples for my kids . Thanks!