Yesterday was Sunday. The Stake President suggested Ty stand at the beginning of Sacrament Meeting and let the ward know why he is home for a little while. I was amazed at his composure. He stood and said it was weird to be here. He told us that he had learned of true conversion and gained a testimony of the Atonement. He has some things he needs to take care of and then he is heading back out. Then he bore testimony of the Saviors love for each of us and the trust he has in the Lord. He spoke with such humility and yet with authority and conviction.
I have gotten to know a different side of Ty the last few days. He is so changed and yet so the same. There is a trail of possessions all over the house. Just like a small child coming in from playing in the snow. I can follow the trail of clothing, shoes, books, and see where he has been. Eric said, “I can tell Ty is back, I keep finding my stuff all over the house.” Ty will share anything he has with his brothers, friends, or anyone who asks. I guess he thinks everyone shares his unconditional ‘what’s mine is yours’ attitude because he just takes what he needs and uses it, then leaves it where he finished. There is a guitar in the living room, ukulele in the bathroom, clothes on the floor, camera on the table. His easy going personality is still intact.
Along with his unconditional love and sharing has come a deep and abiding trust in the Lord. He just keeps telling me, “Mom, just trust in God and everything will work out fine. That’s what it says in my favorite scripture in Proverbs 3:5-6 ‘Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.’ I feel such peace and I know I have made the right decision. The Lord will take care of everything.“
He has already been in touch with several friends. Nate, one of his closest friends, who is preparing to leave in Sept. was feeling lonely as all his closest friends had left on their missions. Ty said he is going to teach him everything he has learned. Derek, a football teammate, who came home from his mission a couple months ago, was losing desire to return. Ty chatted with him online last night and said he was trying to convince him to get back out. He said he thought Derek really listened. Also on facebook were several of his investigators and ward members from Abliene. He chatted with each of them about attending their meetings and keeping faith.
Before he left, the mission president gave several missionaries permission to call, text and keep in touch with Ty. The missionaries in his area called him about Rhea. She has committed to baptism and is devastated Ty won’t be there. She asked if she could buy him a plane ticket and still have him there. Another set of missionaries also wanted to check in with him. Ty sent them a text on my phone to let them know when to call. They texted back while he was on the phone so I responded back, letting them know he would call later. They were so sweet. The elder texting me said, “Your son is awesome. He changed my life.” They kept texting, asking when he would call. They really wanted to know how things were going and if he was okay. Ty finally called them right before bed but it went straight to voicemail. The phone rang right as we were kneeling down for family prayer. Ty assumed it was the missionaries calling back when our caller id said ‘LDS Mission’. He picked up the phone and without saying hello, said, “Hey can I call you back in like 2 minutes?” It was President Robison on the other end. Ty was so embarrassed. We laughed and told him to take the call. He had a great talk with the president.
He is so committed right now. He wants to teach and help everyone around him. I know this enthusiasm will probably fade, but right now I am so glad to see his testimony radiate in his everyday actions. He has truly had a mighty change of heart. He has felt the love of our Savior and felt the Atonement in his life.
0 comments:
Post a Comment