Thursday, June 9, 2011

Elder Hannay is Home

My heart is broken as I deliver this news. Ty had some issues that he didn’t fully take care of before leaving on his mission. Because he is immersed in the work of bringing people to Christ and helping them change their lives, he has realized he needs to get his own life in order. He went to his mission president knowing full well he could be sent home. After discussion with General Authorities, the decision was made to send him home. However, he will be eligible to return after 6 months.

When our Stake President called with this news last night I went through many emotions. The first was actually pride. I was so proud of Ty for making this difficult decision. He faces a long 6 months of repentance, judgment, temptation, and sadness. I feel he has experienced true conversion over the last 6 months and wants to make things right with the Lord. The second emotion was disbelief. I couldn’t really imagine picking Ty up from the airport under these circumstances. No posters, balloons, family, celebrations, just Steve and me picking him up at the terminal. This thought led me to sadness. Deep, gut wrenching sadness. My heart aches for my sweet little boy. He is so kind and so wonderful. To think of him suffering is almost too much to bear.

The next few months will be critical for Ty. We are going to try to make our home like a “mission”. No more wasting time with trivial worldly things. Our focus will be to get him back out. I know this is his goal now, but I also know temptations will come his way. He was an excellent missionary. In speaking to Steve, the mission president said, “Ty was a great missionary. The members love him, the elders love him. He was the youngest district leader I have had in the mission. He was a great leader and a hard worker. I have never seen a more humble and contrite young man, than approached me on Saturday. I have only had 2 missionaries that I have sent home that I really thought would return. One has just returned and the other is Ty.” The mission president actually comes home to Bountiful, UT in 2 weeks. He has committed to us that he will meet with Ty regularly and encourage him to the best of his ability.

We really need your love and prayers. Usually when changes or challenges come my way, I go into “planning mode.” It is part of my nature and genetic make up to prepare and organize. I have pretty much just sat in the guest room staring at the walls and cried the entire morning. I am so afraid for Ty. I love him so much. I can’t imagine him back home. Home is not where he supposed to be right now.

0 comments: