I have to admit, I have not always been a big fan of Mother's Day. The Hallmark commercials with the breakfast in bed and the angelic children scrubbing toilets while Mom lounges are just too much of an expectation. Don't get me wrong, Steve and the kids have always tried hard make a nice day for me. I just can't explain the guilt, let down, inadequate feelings, and general discomfort the day seems to bring. Maybe because at church we always hear about someone's perfect mother who never yelled or failed them in any way.
This year was different!!! The day started as Steve made delicious waffles and Nate & Eric gave me the most darling teen-age boy gifts.
Nate said, "Here you go Mom, sorry it is a little crooked." (He made the 'I heart my mom' mug in tech. lab. and filled it with my favorite 'V chocolates'.)
Eric - "Sorry, I don't have anything to put it in... do you like Pepsi???" (2 liter of Pepsi & my fav. candy. Not a Pepsi fan... it's the thought that counts right?! So, of course the 2 liter of Pepsi was consumed by Eric & Nate before I got a pic.)
Lauren & Devin gave me the most beautiful bracelet and cutest flip flops and snapdragons (my fav.)


Steve gave me a weeping cherry tree, a hanging basket, and hours and hours of backbreaking manual labor.

Then TY CALLED!!! The phone rang at the prearranged time. I looked at the caller ID. It said LDS Mission.... "Hello?" I said. Ty's voice on the other line, "Hi Momma!" followed by his signature giggle. Man I miss that giggle.
He told us about Abilene and the members there. He told us about his experience with his first baptism confirmation. He told us about his companion and how much he is learning from him. He sounded like a MAN.
It was so good to hear the maturity and testimony in his words. It was so good to hear how peoples lives had been changed and the joy the gospel brings. It was so good to hear that his personality hasn't changed but has been refined and improved. It was so good to hear that he is doing okay with out his Mom but still loves and misses me.
I ended the day with a dinner surrounded by the beautiful mothers in my life. We had my Mom & Dad, Brad & Keryn & kids, Steve's Mom & Dad, Lori & Kids. Mom brought me this lovely geranium.
We ate and talked and enjoyed honoring the mothers in our lives.
Monday, May 9, 2011
Mother's Day
at 10:20 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
It truly was a beautiful evening, despite the rain. Your boys were so sweet to take care of the kiddos and to serve us that yummy drink. I had a lovely time. (And thank you so much for the vase and lilacs! I love them so much!)
Post a Comment